(listed in reverse chronological order of first publication)
- Christian Flesh. In press with Stanford University Press (2018).
- The Practice of Catholic Theology: A Modest Proposal. Published by Catholic University of America Press in 2016. Available also from Amazon.
- Decreation: The Last Things of All Creatures. Published by Baylor University Press in 2014. Available also from Amazon.
- Song of Songs: A Commentary. Published by Brazos Press in 2011, as a volume in the Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible. Available also from Amazon.
- Intellectual Appetite: A Theological Grammar. Published by Catholic University of America Press in 2009. Available also from Amazon.
- The Vice of Curiosity: An Essay on Intellectual Appetite. The text of the 2005 J. J. Thiessen Lectures, published by Canadian Mennonite University Press in 2006. Not easy to find, but see Google Books.
- Reason and the Reasons of Faith. Edited together with Reinhard Hütter, and published by T. & T. Clark in 2005 as a volume in the series Theology for the Twenty-First Century. Available from Amazon.
- Lying: An Augustinian Theology of Duplicity. Published by Brazos Press in 2004. Available from Amazon, and from Wipf & Stock.
- Problems of Religious Diversity. Published by Blackwell in 2001 in its series Exploring the Philosophy of Religion. Available from Amazon.
- Religious Reading: The Place of Reading in the Practice of Religion. Published by Oxford University Press in 1999. Available (sometimes) from Amazon.
- On Being Buddha: The Classical Doctrine of Buddhahood. Published by the State University of New York Press in 1994 in its series Toward a Comparative Philosophy of Religions. Available from Amazon.
- An Apology for Apologetics: A Study in the Logic of Interreligious Dialogue. Published by Orbis Press in 1991 as a volume in its Faith Meets Faith series. Available from Amazon and Wipf & Stock.
- Christianity Through Non-Christian Eyes. Published by Orbis Press in 1990 in its Faith Meets Faith series. Available from Amazon.
- The Realm of Awakening: A Translation and Study of the Tenth Chapter of Asanga’s Mahayanasangraha, together with Hakamaya Noriaki and others. Published by Oxford University Press in 1989. Now difficult to find, and expensive when found, but see Amazon.
- On Being Mindless: Buddhist Meditation and the Mind-Body Problem. First published by Open Court Press in 1986. No longer easy to find; there’ve been a couple of Indian editions, and see Amazon.